Thursday, January 13, 2011

Getting Bigger!


This year the focus of my quilt tops will be bigger! My machine can only quilts things up to about 72 inches wide, so we aren't talking king size, but quilts big enough to cover teens and quilts for snuggling on the couch with.
I will still be quilting things for kids too, but I want to make bigger quilts for adults as well.
This one finishes at 5 feet by 7 feet. Yeah, it's too early in the morning to convert that to inches. And my 6 year old took the picture so you get to see my computer screen and lot of other things in my house besides my quilt :)
This was made with my Accuquilt Go! cutter and the 6 1/2 inch half square triangle. Have I told you how much I LOVE that die? Well, I do.
I just got the rest of the dies in the starter set and plan to make lots of different blocks now. There are 8 dies in the starter set and the Accuquilt website has 36 blocks you can make using those 8 dies. I plan to make a block of each and put those together as a quilt. I am going to try and make a video for each block. I've made a video of this block, they call it the mill wheel block, but most places call it the pinwheel block.
The quilts I came up with for this block I just LOVE. It is in all oranges. I should make it bigger and sent it to my baby brother (who turns 39 on Sunday) for his birthday. He is 6 foot 4 inches tall, but will always be my baby brother.
UPDATE to this post: I just measured and I can only quilt things about 60 inches wide on my quilting frame. I guess I will be passing along some of my bigger quilts to my friends, Carla and Jenny who can do the bigger quilts. That's ok, I will still keep making them bigger. And, it is later in the day and I figured out that 5 feet is 60 inches and 7 feet is 84 inches. Nice size quilt!

1 comment:

Carla said...

Love it!

I'm working up bigger quilts as well. Had a bunch of sheets donated so I will be making tops to match the sheet size. Sam measured and marked them all for me and has been cutting blocks enough for tops. 14 tops so far for twin size to king! Whenever a friend asks for a kit, I'll have one ready. One went home with our pre-school teacher yesterday. Love it when a plan comes together!