Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Learning to digitize embroidery designs

I'm learning to digitize some embroidery designs.  I've spent enough money having some designs digitized by others and figured it can't be that hard.  Well, guess what?  It isn't hard at all when you have the right program!

Today I downloaded SewArt for free (30 day trial) and began playing around with it after watching a few youtube videos.  It's amazing what you can learn from watching a few videos.

I will be putting my designs here to share and hope you will try them out.  I'd like to one day start an etsy shop and maybe sell them to make some money for the charities I support.


The first one I did is a train key fob (or luggage tag) because I've been looking for one everywhere and couldn't find one I liked.  I finally found one, but it was pretty detailed and took forever to stitch out.  I'm hoping this one is simple enough that you get the idea it is a train, but stitches quicker.  I'm going to give it a try today!

Update:  I stitched it out and am fairly happy with the design.  It actually looks like a train :)  There are a few white spots in the middle of the train, so I guess I need to practice a bit to get the design perfect and it did take FOREVER to stitch out (about an hour for these four) so I'm working on a line drawing now.  These are for my son's work to give away to the kids.  He works at the Western Railway Museum and I'd like to be able to make a dozen a day.  I don't have 3 hours a day to make these for him, but they are cute!  And there aren't any train designs out there as key fobs, so if you are looking for a free train key fob, follow the link and enjoy :)

No comments: