Tuesday, February 9, 2016

a special quilt

This was a special request quilt for the Vice Principal at my school.  He has cancer and started chemo today.  When I found out he had cancer, I asked what his favorite color was so I could make him a quilt.  He said purple so I gathered all of the purple fabrics that weren't flowers and got started.  The blocks are 4 1/2 inch x 8 1/2 inch and the squares are 8 1/2 inch.  It is a random pattern of color and my design wall isn't big enough so everything is just put together as I went along.  The only thing I was watching for was to make sure the squares didn't touch.  The rest just came out however I happened to grab a square.  I believe I will be making more quilts like this.  I'm thinking it took about 6 hours from cutting to binding, with quilting time included.  It's a really big quilt too, being 64 x 88 inches.

When I gifted it today, the VP wrapped it around himself and said that at his church they bring the new babies up to the front of the congregation and wrap them in handmade quilts.  I told him he makes a really big baby!  He was quite happy with the finished quilt and excited I actually finished it and gave it to him.  He was surprised I kept my word and made the quilt in time for his first treatment.

1 comment:

Sue Niven said...

What a wonderful quilt indeed. You are a truly beautiful lady.