Saturday, July 16, 2016

Getting some more work done

Yesterday was another work day around here.  I had the garage door fixed.  It hasn't been working for about 6 months and I've had to lift it manually.  The rats ate through the wire that connected it to the opener.  Supposedly it is only supposed to last 15 years and it is as old as the house, so I guess we've gotten our money's worth out of it.  I don't use it very much so maybe that's why it has lasted so long.  

 I also had guys out to fix the front and back door.  The front door handle would only work if you lifted up, not down and the door got stuck in the winter when it swelled up.  They pounded it back straight and added a couple of screws in and now it works great.

 The back door took Hulk-like strength to open and I was sure it needed new wheels.  Turns out the wheels just needed grease and a good cleaning.  It's surprising how much junk can build up in there.  They cleaned out the screen and now that closes too.  They also installed three new smoke detectors to replace the old, yellow ones that were falling off the ceiling.

Now to spend the last 30 days of summer break cleaning up and putting everything away to get ready for the new school year.  They still haven't hired a new science teacher and there may be overage positions again this year.  The last time I did that (took on one extra class for the whole year) it almost did me in!  I had a student teacher that year, which saved me and a former student came back for the year and graded most of my papers which also saved me.  The extra money was nice, but at what expense?

1 comment:

Charlene S said...

Sounds like you are set for the next few years. As for extra classes, I vote NO! The stress is not equal to what is paid.