Sunday, March 10, 2013

Quilting again

About 20 years ago, I took a quilting class at my church with three other ladies.  One of those ladies has served as a missionary in Kazakhstan for a couple of years and is now back in my area.  She is a nurse at a local school and has 7 kids.  This week she is going with 2 of her kids to Mexico to work on building a house and work in an orphanage.  I'm sending 20 of our quilts with her.  I'm so happy that she is able to be the delivery person for all of our handiwork.  We love to bring comfort to kids all over the world.  Most go to local kids, but it is nice to know we've sent quilts to Kazakhstan, Rwanda, Haiti, New Jersey (Superstorm Sandy), Connecticut (Newton), Louisiana (Katrina) and San Bruno (gas main explosion).
I've been spending so much time using my new embroidery machine that I've stopped quilting.  I need summer vacation so I have time for everything.
The other thing I've been doing a lot of is walking.  The new medicine I'm on makes me want to eat and eat and eat.  I'm never full so to keep me from exploding, my husband and I walk.  I'm still gaining weight every month, but hopefully it is slowing the weight down a bit.  The migraines are better, being only 3-4 a week instead of every day.
These last two quilts are some of my favorite types.  At one of our quilt days, the students from my high school cut these on the Accuquilt Studio cutter.  Carla has the kids sort the scraps into bags by size.  Then they lay scraps on top of the dies and roll them through the cutter. We get a thousand pieces in an hour.  Of course, we then have a thousand pieces to sew back together.  We must teach more kids how to sew!  We have a lot of kids who need volunteer hours.  Again, wish I had more time in the day.

1 comment:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

What a wonderful thing to do!!