Saturday, March 16, 2013

Orchid Obsession

 I have 5 orchids now and it takes everything I have not to keep getting more.  This first one, my daughters got me Christmas 2011.  It has bloomed 3 times now and every time it gets a bigger bloom spike.  The plant hasn't grown much, but I think I might need to repot it into a little bigger pot.
 This orchid has been blooming for about 4 months.  This is the last bloom on it.
 I got this one right after Mother's Day last year at Sam's Club.  It was marked down to half price and was calling out for a loving home.  It bloomed about 6 months and then put out new blooms on the same old bloom spikes.  It also send out a new spike at the same time.  I can't believe it has been blooming for almost a whole year!
 This one my daughter got for being a judge at last year's science fair.  It put out a second set of blooms on the same spike
.
And finally, I got this little cutie at Winco about a month ago.  I'm thinking I need a bigger window sill.  They all face east and get a couple of hours of almost direct sun in the morning.  I water them about once a week or once every two weeks and make sure they dry out completely in between watering.  They are near my kitchen sink so have lots of humidity and seem to love their growing conditions.