Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Life of a High School teacher

Police arrest Vanden High student after social media post deemed a threat

By From page A1 | October 07, 2015
This is a newspaper about my high school.  After the recent events in Oregon, kids who want attention turn to social media for their 15 minutes of fame.  We weren't told which student made the threats, although I'm sure by tomorrow we will have figured out who it was.  I'm thankful for the parents who alerted the police and hope that the child gets the attention he wanted.

I have so many other issues going on this year that being afraid of getting shot is probably the least of my worries.  Could it happen?  Of course, but could I lose my mind first from all of the other things I have to deal with first?  A more likely reality!

Today is the National Day of The Teacher.  Did you know that?  Yeah, I didn't get any presents or even a day off :)  Not that I expect even a thanks for just doing my job.  I don't do it for the thanks.  I do it because I love the kids and love hearing a kid say things like, "I didn't realize I was learning so much.  I thought I was just having fun."  An actual quote from one of my students yesterday.  It's those moments that give me all the thanks I need.

It's also nice when kids cheer when they see me walk in to substitute for their teacher, like they did this morning.  I got the phone call about 2 minutes before my prep period and I almost turned down the chance to spend time with this group of kids.  But after receiving this warm welcome, I knew I had made the right decision in giving up my prep to help out when the regular sub didn't show up.  But, that's probably one reason I can't get off the couch tonight.

On to the article from the paper:

FAIRFIELD — A Vacaville teen was arrested late Monday after a parent, who heard about a post on Twitter that implied a threat at Vanden High School, reported the post to Fairfield police.
The parent contacted police at 7:30 p.m. to report the Twitter post, which police and school officials said showed a 15-year-old Vanden High student holding a rifle. The photo included text that threatened harm Tuesday to people at the Vanden High campus, school officials and police said in separate press releases Tuesday.



Police found the teen at his home shortly after 10 p.m. Monday and took him into custody, Sgt. Jeff Osgood of the Fairfield Police Department and Vincent Ruiz, head of student services in the Travis School District, said in the releases. They said the .22-caliber rifle reportedly shown in the photo was later found at a family member’s home and was taken as evidence.
Osgood and Ruiz said the teen was booked on suspicion of making criminal threats. His name was withheld due to his age.
Ruiz praised students who notified adults about the suspected threat.
“We appreciate those students who did the right thing by letting adults know about the threat,” Ruiz said in the release. “This allowed law enforcement to take swift action.”
That action included coordination with the school resource officer assigned to Vanden High as well as with Travis School District officials to ensure that a threat assessment could be conducted swiftly, police and school officials said.
No other information was released.



The incident remained under investigation Tuesday. Anyone with information about the alleged threat is asked to call the Fairfield Police Department’s Major Crime Unit at 428-7600, the 24-hour tip line at 428-7345 or Crime Stoppers at 644-7867. Callers may remain anonymous.

No comments: