Tuesday, October 6, 2015

quilts for Middletown, Ca

So, if you've heard the news over the last couple of weeks, you've heard that and entire town was burned down.  Middletown Ca was almost completely destroyed.  It's close enough that there are several local people making trips there to deliver needed items.  I got an email yesterday from our teacher union that said they are collecting socks and blankets for the teachers who have lost everything in the fires, so of course we will be sending quilts.

This school year has really taken a toll on me.  I'm teaching a special ed class and fighting a battle with the administration trying to get support for that class.  We are not on the same page as to what that support looks like.  Either they think I am way better than I really am, or they don't care about that class.  It is a co-teaching class, which means there is supposed to be a second teacher in the room with me.  Well, that second teacher has been sick all year and I've been fighting to get that second teacher in there every day.  There have been several days when I'm all alone.  I'm not a special ed teacher and not trained.  There are more children in the class than are supposed to be and more kids with other issues besides those with special ed as was promised when I first met with the administration and nobody wants to deal with the issues this is causing.  I was promised planning time with the second teacher and we are seven weeks into the school year and haven't met once.  I'm doing the best I can but feel like I'm one breath away from drowning.  It doesn't leave much room for creative energy at the end of the day.  I'm pretty sure the administration had no idea what they were getting into when they assigned me this class. :)  Some days I get the feeling they are hoping I just accept status quo and deal with my own problems.  Silly people.  I think things should just work right.  I HATE wasting taxpayer money.  If we are going to spend twice as much money on students, they should be successful.  Period.  I'm going to do my part and everyone else should too.

I have quite a bit of fight left in me, but it does get exhausting some days.  Good thing there is cake.

1 comment:

Farm Quilter said...

Oh I so feel your pain! Except mine wasn't a co-teacher, it was my teaching assistant and I about lost my mind! Luckily, my students were wonderful to work with, but it made for a very difficult year. What helped me was getting some of the parents involved and having them threaten the district with a Due Process law suit if they didn't get things changed immediately. It worked :) The district is required by federal law to provide the services in each student's IEP and if they don't, then the district is liable for major damages. Just make sure you are documenting everything you are trying to get the school to do to help you - you need a paper trail to CYA. Sure wish I could help you out!!! I really miss "my" kids!!!