Thursday, January 8, 2015

Encourage 2015

these posts are as much for me as they are to encourage anyone reading them.  I need to be reminded to watch what I say.  Working with High School students, it's easy to get sarcastic and most students see the humor in my tone, but sometimes I need to be mindful that there are those students who may not be in the mood for sarcasm and who may need those words of encouragement.  It's a delicate balancing act on a daily basis.  Many students are struggling to find their place in this world and are trying to figure out what their strengths are.

My older daughter is a fabulous writer.  She has been writing since she was 4 and could tell a story like nobody's business.  She knows her direction in life and nobody will sway her from her goals.  My older son has been playing computer games and different instruments from a very young age as well.  He is a whiz at math and science.  He has a clear focus on where he wants to be in 10 years and a plan to get there.  my youngest would be happiest to live at home and watch Youtube videos all day. 


  But my younger daughter, although she is great at everything, has never found her love and purpose yet.  She is the top of her class at college in all of the classes she's taken, but still isn't sure she will be successful in life.  She has a very upbeat personality, but when you talk to her about the future, she is very unsure about what it holds for her.  She could choose any career and be successful because she has been blessed with great abilities, but lacks the confidence in her strengths.

I encourage each of you today to compliment someone that comes across your path.  Don't make a judgement on whether you think they need it or not because, like my younger daughter, they may appear confident on the outside, but inside are unsure of the path they are on.  Your words of encouragement may steady their walk.

No comments: