Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I'm not afraid of power tools


Today was a work day in the garage.  First, I moved this set of shelves from the middle of the garage to the side wall to join with the rest of the set.  I have about 50 buckets of various things, fabric, yarn, kid toys, treasures that I cannot part with stored safely in plastic tombs, waiting to be opened and remembered each summer.

Then, where the metal storage shelves were kept, I created these wooden shelves.  They are attached to another set, which, although it doesn't look pretty, has stood for about 6 years and hasn't broken or fallen down yet, so I must have done a decent job.  I was feeling rather foolish in the way I had built them, but then a few years ago, we hired a carpenter to fix up the shed out back.  He build a very similar set of shelves in the shed for another set of buckets and after I saw the shelves he built, I felt much better with the shelves I made, since I had never been to building school!

I'm trying to get all of my buckets of treasures off the floor and easier to access so they aren't stacked on top of each other.  We have a ping pong table in the garage that is currently useless because there is no place to unfold it.  After this weekend, things should be different.  I'm hoping that tomorrow I find more time to move and sort.  Notice I am not talking about throwing much away, although I did throw away some old Christmas cards (how long are you supposed to keep those anyways?) and a few stuffed animals that had seen better days.  I am getting better at throwing things away and finding better ways of preserving the things I love.

A little bit each day, week, year and one day the house will be presentable.

No comments: