Sunday, July 4, 2010

I want to cry



My sewing machine is still giving me troubles. I have so much I want to be doing and the machine is still skipping stitches and breaking thread every time I move the machine to the left and away from me. It is so frustrating I'm about to cry. I've had it in the shop 4 times this summer already. The guy at the shop said it had something to do with the height of the needle bar. I tried opening it up to adjust it myself because the machine weighs seriously like 50 pounds and it is so frustrating to have to take it off the frame, load it in the car, wait a day to get it back, put it back on the frame and sew for 2 minutes to see that it hasn't been fixed only to take it off the frame and take it back to the shop.




Well, I opened it up and can't find a screw to loosen to raise or lower the needle bar. I've searched the internet in vain trying to find instructions somewhere on how to do this. I've found instructions for a singer machine. If only I had a singer machine :)




Then, this morning I was messing with it and the plastic part of the quilting foot popped off and hit the needle and now it won't even pick up the thread from the bobbin. UGH> I think I will go have a good cry and do something else for the rest of the day.




Back to the shop it goes tomorrow. My husband says to just go buy a new machine. Ugh. Frustrating. I've had this machine for 2 years. The first month it gave me nothing but trouble because there was a burr in the needle plate. Once I changed out the needle plate, things were great for a year and a half. I made over 300 quilts on this thing. Then, it decided to just die. Or try to kill me. Either way, maybe I should take his advice and get a different machine. What I really want is a longarm machine. But those cost as much as a car. That isn't going to happen anytime soon so I'm looking at a Juki 98.




Maybe...




I did manage to get another quilt done, while messing with the machine.

3 comments:

Sue H said...

Oh, how I feel your pain! There's nothing more frustrating than a sewing machine that won't behave. I think I would either try a different repair person, in case he or she would see something new, or else start shopping around!

Ivory Spring said...

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear.... I feel your pain. I hope you get your machine straightened out soon.

It's nonetheless impressive you were able to finish another quilt while having your machine issues.

Becky said...

I'm sorry you are having so much difficulty with your machine. I have marveled at you quilting so quickly and donating so many quilts. Do consider a used machine from a reputable dealer. Nolting machines (what I have) are traded in all the time, and will work on some of the generic tables. I'm sure there are others out there. The nolting yahoo group, MQP group, and I'm sure others have listings of machines and such for sale. Just a thought. You really need a heavier machine for the amount you quilt. I went with the Pro, because they are built to run 8-10 hours everyday for business. Good luck with your repairs.