Sunday, August 5, 2018

migraine brain

I'm trying to look at things with a new perspective.  I have two weeks of vacation left.  Some people only get two weeks of vacation.

When I get a day like yesterday, when a migraine takes the entire day away from me, it is hard to look at the day and not think of it as wasted.  I woke up feeling pretty good and was excited to get out and get some things checked off my to do list.  I'm working in my classroom and headed out to the Dollar Store to pick up some bins to help me organize the chaos that takes over every year.

Then, I was headed to the thrift store for their 50% off everything sale. I knew if I didn't get there right when they opened at 9am, it was going to be crazy. I got there around 9:10 and the parking lot was full. I had to park at the very back and all of the shopping carts were taken. People were pushing and shoving to save $1 on a t shirt. Out of the blue, my migraine came on and I knew I had better get out of there quickly.

I'm not sure if it was because of the crowd, or the fluorescent lighting or the smell or the stress or just what, but I didn't think I was going to make it. I started to get nauseous, which has come on more recently. The last month or so, the migraines have been getting more often and more severe.

I've been suffering from them since I was in my early 20's and they got better and worse over the years. I've tried every different prescription that is out there. I've also tried acupuncture, a chiropractor and Botox. The Botox worked for about a year and then they came back. Those shots were more painful than the migraines and I figured since they weren't working anymore anyways I might as well stop. The neurologist said that my body had built up an immunity. Bummer, why couldn't my body build up an immunity to fat and sugar instead?

So, I came home as quick as I could and spent the day laying around on the couch. At least I have the luxury of being able to do that. I didn't have to take a day off work and could go to bed early. I woke up this morning with a migraine hangover. I've never had a real hangover as I don't drink alcohol, but a migraine hangover is when you feel really sluggish and dehydrated. Your body just works really slowly the day after a really bad migraine. My head doesn't hurt, but I don't really have motivation to get much done.

And, that's ok too. Again, I have two weeks before I have to go back to school and time to just let my body recover. I will drink lots of water and go to the bathroom whenever I need to-again because I can. Anybody who has never been a teacher has no idea what a luxury going to the bathroom is! And using nice toilet paper! When I become teacher of the year, that's one thing I should change about education. Every teacher bathroom should have nice toilet paper instead of the sandpaper they buy us. :) That's how they could recruit more teachers...

No comments: