Thursday, August 9, 2018

classroom set up

 I'm still working diligently in my classroom trying to get it ready for the first day of school.  I can't remember exactly how many hours I've spent, but I'd guess 40 at least so far. The walls are now mostly full of things. I can't believe I haven't put things on the walls in the 18 years I've spent teaching high school. When I taught elementary, that was my life! I would spend countless hours every month changing bulletin boards. I loved it! It is fun looking for ideas (back in the day we didn't have the internet so we made up a lot and stole ideas from each other).
Since I don't have bulletin boards now and just bare walls, almost everything I put on the wall is crooked. I can't step back to get perspective because I have to stand on a counter. I really try to make things straight, but all of the tricks I try just make the poster or paper lean in one way or another. What I need is a laser level. Next year.

Yesterday I started attacking the cabinets. When I clean the room at the end of the year, I just shove things into the cabinets. Yesterday I pulled everything out of one cabinet and found a treasure trove of school supplies. I had so many balloons! We use balloons for a couple of labs and are always running to the store the day before the lab because we never have enough. I probably found enough balloons for two years of labs. Shoved way in the back of the cabinet.

There were matches enough to burn down 1,000 schools and then some and mousetraps (both for catching mice and for doing experiments), and sharpie markers and post it notes and tape and...

I'm hoping that if I can organize all of this stuff I can save some money this year by not having to run out and get stuff because I can't find what I need.  The best laid plans...

No comments: