Sunday, March 1, 2015

learning to ride

 My youngest finally learned to ride his bike today.  That's a huge accomplishment.  I've tried getting him to learn for a really long time.  He just hasn't been interested.  And, on top of that, he's been really afraid of falling.  Just like swimming and the water, he has this fear of getting hurt or dying.
 I know, you look at these pictures and say, bad mom, no helmet.  If he's afraid of getting hurt, why isn't he wearing a helmet and knee pads and elbow pads?  He asked me to wear a helmet and every other time he's tried, he had the helmet on.  This time, I suggested he try without one.  I thought maybe he could get better balance without it.  After all, millions of kids around the world have survived riding a bike without a helmet.  I did.
Wouldn't you know, he survived too!  I don't know if it was trying without the helmet or not, but he actually was able to balance on the bike this time and managed to peddle around and go up and down the street about five times until a car pulled out.  Then he got scared and fell over.  That was it for the day.  He didn't get hurt because he wasn't going fast, but he was just so proud that he actually was able to ride the bike and stay upright.  Now we can start going on rides around the neighborhood together.

For those of you enjoying snow, sorry for these beautiful sunshine pictures.  I think it hit 70 today.  We were supposed to get some rain on Friday and yesterday so I waited to water my garden.  The mountains got some snow and boy were they happy.  We got about 4 drops of rain so I had to water.  My iris are coming up through the pile of dirt that was put on top of them and were happy for the drink of water I gave them today.  Should be an interesting spring around here.

No comments: