Monday, March 16, 2015

I'm back

I took a break from blogging for a couple of weeks and got a phone call from my mom yesterday reminding me that my dad has been checking on me, wondering where I have been.  It's nice to be missed!

Since I haven't been doing any quilting, or much sewing lately, there really hasn't been much to write about.  I'm walking most days and the dogs are loving the extra attention.  I'm trying to keep my step average up, but that doesn't happen every day.  I'd like to be able to brag that I reach 10,000 steps or 5 miles a day, but no matter how hard I try, I'm happy to reach 5,000 steps on a good day.  It seems walking around the classroom only gets me about a mile a day.  I must do more sitting than I thought.  I wonder why I'm so tired at the end of the day.  I should get steps for talking so much.  Maybe there is a meter for how many words you say.  I bet I get 10,000 words a day or more and half of those are "Be quiet and look at me."

My older son is starting to hear back from colleges.  Hence the scarf picture.  I've been working on this for over a year now.  It's a Doctor Who scarf from the Tom Baker years and is over 14 feet long.  I'm not a fast knitter and I can't say I worked on it every day.  I'm sure there were a couple of months where I didn't work on it at all, but I know I started it in November of 2013 and just finished it yesterday.  I gifted it to the school librarian who has written numerous letters of recommendation for my son this year.  I'm sure they helped him get into colleges and helped him get a couple of the scholarships so far.  He has asked her several times for a letter either the day before or the day it was due.  She was his English teacher and says she doesn't have favorites, but he is one of hers.

So far, he has gotten into UC Irvine, UC Davis, UC San Diego and Colorado School of Mines.  He got rejected from MIT and California Institute of Technology.  He's waiting to hear from UCLA (20th), UC Berkeley (26th), Harvey Mudd (end of the month) and Carnegie Mellon (end of the month).  He got into the honors program at UCI and got a $30,000 Regent's scholarship from UC Davis.  Although Davis is not a top choice for him (both mom and dad went there and it is very close to home!) it has moved up on the list because of the scholarship.  I mean how do you say no to $30,000?  School of Mines also offered about $50,000, but they are out of state and the money would only offset the cost of the out of state part, which only makes them slightly competitive with the other schools.  If only he could live with his grandparents and they could claim him on their taxes and he could become a Colorado resident, then that school might be more in the running.  Sometimes I think we give our kids too many choices.  When I went to college I had two options.  Davis and Long Beach State.  I knew what I was going to be, a Veterinarian (look how well that worked out) so of course Davis was my first choice.  There was none of this internet research and making charts and graphs and $30,000 scholarships.

So, once the other schools make their decisions, he has until May 1 to make his final choice.  There are no bad options and it's interesting watching all of this unfold.  I'm more laid back with child number 3 going through it all, knowing it will all work out perfectly.  He will end up at the perfect school where he is happy and I don't have to worry about the decision.

I should have had more kids.  It's getting easier being a parent with each one.

No comments: