Friday, January 18, 2013

Frustrated with lack of accomplishments

With school being back in full swing, I'm feeling frustrated that I have nothing to show for my 'free time'.  Maybe because I'm not finding much free time, or maybe because I'm trying to figure out what to work on next.  I have a lot of projects that need attention: a memory quilt for a friend who lost her mother last year, another memory quilt for my sister in law, a quilt for my daughter, a baby quilt for a friend at work whose wife had a baby last week, and a whole bunch of quilt tops that need attention.

So, when I do go in the sewing room to work on something, I just don't know where to start.  I look around and feel overwhelmed and then go sit on the couch and crochet another baby hat.  Baby hats don't take any thinking.  I just grab the next color of yarn and crochet away.  It takes me about 30 minutes or less to make one and so I feel like I have accomplished at least a little bit before the day is over.  I'm collecting them all and hope to deliver them to the Nurse Family Partnership soon.

I've recently started making burp cloths out of the scrap flannel pieces I have laying around.  Those are even quicker than the baby hats.  This morning in about 15 minutes before having to go to work, I made about a dozen of them.  Just lay two pieces of flannel wrong sides together and serge around the outside.  They are all coming out different sizes and I figure I can drop them off with the baby hats and they will find good homes.

I'm also making flannel blankets the same way.  Two pieces of flannel, wrong sides together and serged.  I have a TON of flannel and little by little am working through the buckets.

I also have another idea for using up the flannel, by sewing it as a backing to some of the quilt tops.  Carla just gave me 150 quilt tops that the middle school kids made last semester.  There's no way I can keep up with the rate those kids are making the quilts, so I'm thinking of just sewing right sides together, the top and a piece of flannel, turning and then top stitching.  I want to put an embroidered something in the middle, to hold it together, and then be done.  The idea in my head seems to make sense, but I won't know for sure until I try it out.  I'm hoping this weekend to get a bunch done.  They shouldn't take very long and will make nice lightweight blankets for the spring and summer babies.

Lately it has been SOOOO cold here.  I know, those of you who have real winters are laughing at us in California, but it gets down into the upper 20's some nights and only into the lower 50's during the day.  Today was so warm, it got into the low 60's and I actually walked without my coat for a little bit, after I had warmed up.

Hubby and I are still walking and have done just over 50 miles so far this year.  That's 1/20th of the way to goal of 1,000 miles.  I've had a migraine almost every day this week and today's was the worst.  I also missed two days of walking this week and wonder if the two are connected.  I walked today with a terrible migraine and while the walking didn't make the headache better, my head was pretty numb while I walked.  Hopefully it will help in the long run.

 Three quilts I've finished but blogger wouldn't let me upload.  Now it seems to be working again :)

The weight isn't coming off, but I'm not gaining either.  I'm eating more vegetables and have almost completely cut out sugary snacks.  I can't remember the last time I had a cookie and I've resisted donuts twice when they were 'right there calling my name!'

No comments: