Sunday, January 31, 2010

Cleaning the closet

In my efforts to clean out the clutter, I tackled the closet today. I couldn't get to the back of it because as time went on, I started piling all of my clothes on the floor and just picked from the top of the pile. I kept wearing the same 5 t shirts every week and would just add them back to the top of the pile after they got washed.

After sorting for only 1 1/2 hours, I unearthed the floor of the closet and 50 pair of white socks and another 50 pair of black socks. Really? Where did they all come from because in the mornings I'm looking everywhere for matching socks. I never wear white socks anymore, so the white ones went into a big bag and got squished into the bottom of the closet for the next fashion change (or the next time I buy new white shoes) and now my black socks are organized for a quicker morning routine. I've sorted about 20 t shirts to rotate through (I'm so lucky I can wear t shirts and jeans every day to work!) and everything has a place on the shelves. I still have to go through all of the hanging stuff that I never wear. I should wear it and it fits and is in style, but I am so much more comfortable in my jeans that who wants to dress up when you don't have to? And who wants to get rid of perfectly good clothes when you may be forced to wear them one day?

I got rid of 45 pounds of clutter today. I think that calls for an ice cream celebration!

No comments: