Friday, June 23, 2017

she's off

New adventures await!
It was hard to watch her drive away.  I know she's only moving to Southern California, but she's not coming home again to live.  She is starting a brand new chapter in her life and I'm not at the center of that chapter.  She's all grown up.  She doesn't need me like she used to.  My help isn't necessary any more.  Things are the way they are supposed to be, and I know I did a good job raising her to be strong and independent and capable, but somehow feeling less needed still hurts a little.


She left this morning around 8:30 and will rent a uhaul tomorrow to get the final stuff into her apartment tomorrow


I was all set to make the trip with her and help her do all of this, but she made it pretty clear that she was ready to do this on her own.  She would tolerate my help, but it really wasn't necessary.  Sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and let them do things on their own and be ready to help if asked but not overstep.  I signed the loan papers for the car, called the insurance company and got all of that set up but need to start letting go of some things.





















It's only a 6 1/2 hour drive or 1 1/2 hour plane ride.






Plus, I have these guys to cheer me up.  There is always at least one of them under foot causing trouble or making a mess.  Looks like I have some cleaning to do to keep me busy today while she drives home.

Enough of this pity party.  There are quilts to be made and work to get done.  There's always dishes and laundry and weeds to pull.


1 comment:

Farm Quilter said...

That first flight of independence is so hard on us moms!! They want to do everything by themselves! After struggling a little, they are smart enough to figure out that getting help from mom makes everything easier and more fun! I live in Washington state and got to help my daughter move from Texas to Florida, Florida to Washington and Washington to Hawaii...amazing how the Army made my daughter so independent but also showed her just how important family was to her! Yeah, it does hurt to not be needed so much, but we spent our lives training them to be independent!! Guess we did an okay job!