Sunday, March 6, 2016

final February quilt and flooding

This quilt was finished in February, but with another long, crazy week, today is the first chance I've had to post a picture of it.  I don't understand how a whole week can get away from me like that.  Between school things life in general, time is gone and the day is done.

We have had a long drought here in Northern California for the past 4 years and I've forgotten what a pain this house can be when it really does rain.  The weathermen forcasted El Nino this winter and we had a bit of rain in December, but nothing really to write home about.  February was dry and sunny and felt more like May.  Then, yesterday came.  60 mile an hour winds and 1 1/2 inches of rain in a couple of hours.

Oh, yeah, this house leaks.  Big time!

My son came home for the weekend.  He's still having troubles from his concussion from the bike accident and I think just needed a couple good nights' sleep in his bed.  Well, last night that wasn't going to happen because his window leaks when the rain blows on it from the South.  It was pouring in the window and filling bowls every couple of hours.

We know we need to get the windows replaced and that whole wall torn out, but when it is sunny and dry, the urgency just isn't there.

This morning I got to thinking that maybe I could fix the leak.  My dad always made us kids feel like there wasn't anything we couldn't fix with a bit of duct tape, some wire and a bit of thinking.  So, thanks to my dad and Youtube, I figured out the best way to tackle the problem, headed out to Lowe's at 7 when they opened and got some caulk and a putty knife.  I dug out a couple of weak spots in the seal around the window, especially the spot that had the biggest leak and applied plenty of caulk.  I don't think I would get the award for the prettiest job.  After about 2 hours (stuff says needs 30 minutes to dry) my son suggested I test it with the hose.  Sure enough, spraying water on it and nothing came through.  Looks like I may just have fixed the leak.  Fingers crossed that when the next storm rolls through, the rain won't be rolling in through the cracks around the window!


1 comment:

Sue Niven said...

Good job on the windows! Best wishes to you son.