Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Slave or master?

I'm beginning to feel like I'm a slave to my fabric. I've been working in the sewing room these last 3 days and feel like the fabric has taken over my life. It is calling to me every waking minute. I'm trying to organize it and corral it into a useable stash instead of it taking over everywhere in the house. Yesterday I brought in 3 buckets of fabric from the garage and gave away two buckets of non-quilting fabric. I also gave away 2 buckets of quilting patterns that were given to me a couple years ago. I looked through them and figured that since I hadn't used them in the last 2 years and I have access to the internet and all of its wonderful free patterns, the chances of me getting into those two buckets of patterns was very slim. Why not pass those patterns along to someone who would use them?

Today I brought in another bucket of fabric and have sorted through it. The big pieces are on the shelf, ready to be used as backings and the smaller pieces are in a bucket that I'm working on cutting into 6 1/2 inch squares. I'm sorting those squares into 63 squares for quilt tops. I had a whole bucket of kits made up and I think I added about 10 more kits to that bucket today. I'm still hoping to pass those kits along to be sewn into tops soon.

I think I will get one more bucket of fabric into the house today, but I can't let the fabric rule my life. I have other things I need to be working on around here, like the kitchen. I have cupboards that have things in them that haven't been used in years. I'm trying to clean out the dead weight and make room for the things I use on a daily basis. I'm making progress, but it is slow.

I also bought a 16 foot extension ladder. Did you know that it will fit inside of a minivan? I wasn't sure and asked the 'expert loader' at Home Depot and he guessed it would fit. Sure enough, when you fold down the seats, the ladder fits inside. I can now get up to the eaves of the roof to clean out the pidgeon poop from the rain gutters. I've been wanting (needing) to do that for 5 years.

oh, the joys of home ownership!

Off to sort more fabric, finish up a few more crochet squares to fill the box I'm shipping out tomorrow and clean something. Hey, I might even do some laundry. What an exciting life I lead!

No comments: