Friday, June 22, 2012

number 7 and number 700

Yep, that's right, this is the 700th quilt I've quilted since getting my Janome 1600DB P.  I doubt it was meant to be such a work horse, but I can tell you that it is still working like new, actually better than new.  If you go way back to the beginning of my blog and read all about when I got the machine, you will see that I had a lot of troubles.  The throat plate had a burr on it and the thread kept catching.  I tried everything I could think of and was almost ready to send the machine back because I was so frustrated.  I finally got a new throat plate and solved the thread breaking troubles.  Boy have I been happy with my machine ever since.  I've broken 3 or 4 feet on it (yes, metal quilting feet!) and even pierced a plastic foot without breaking the needle.  I've sewn through my finger once--keep your eyes on your work, this thing is fast!

I clean my machine after just about every quilt I make.  I either use a small paint brush or q-tip to grab the lint that builds up.  It seems to depend more on the thread I use than anything else as to how much lint builds up.  I would think it would be more the batting or material, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.  Who knew thread would have so much lint in it?  I also oil my machine after every 3rd or 4th quilt.  Just a drop or two into the two little holes on top and it seems to do the trick.

Changing needles is another story.  When I first got my machine everyone said you have to change your needle after every quilt.  Well, that would be a lot of needles, so I bought 100 needles.  They sent me the wrong ones, but they fit my regular Kenmore machine, so they let me keep those and sent me another 100.  I probably still have 85.  Yeah, I don't change needles very often.  Maybe every 50 quilts or so.  I can hear when the needle needs changing because it makes a popping sound.  After owning the machine this long, you get to know the sound it is supposed to make and can tell when it isn't working quite right.

In the beginning, I used to get frustrated when the tension was off, or when the thread broke all the time, but now, I understand the likes and dislikes of my machine and know what to try to get it working again.

My Janome has served me well and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a new machine.  It isn't fancy, or big, or super expensive, but it has served me well for the quilting needs I have.

No comments: