Tuesday, July 31, 2018

on fire

Sometimes that term is used in a positive way, like 'You're really on fire!' Meaning you're really doing great, or getting things done quickly.

But, right now, Northern California where I live is literally on fire. There are so many areas around me that are burning that the air is thick with smoke. You can taste it in the air in the morning and the sun is a bright red in the morning.

This blog is called North Hills Quilter because I started making quilts to give away to people who needed a hug. I live in the Northern part of California and there are beautiful hills next to my house. They change from green to a gorgeous golden yellow in the summer. But that golden yellow means they  would go up in flames in an instant with just a careless spark from a cigarette or firework.

The biggest fire here is the Carr fire. It is in Redding, which is a couple of hours away from us, but has burned over 100,000 acres and killed 6 people so far. More than 800 homes have burned and it's only 20% contained. Entire neighborhoods have been decimated.

It reminds me of the fire that swept through Santa Rosa last October. Our school closed down for two days, even though Santa Rosa is more than an hour away, because the smoke was so thick.

My charity group, Vacaville Binky Patrol is working on making quilts to take to those affected by the fire in Redding. The first batch is headed up there today with some friends from my old church. I saw a post on Facebook yesterday that a group was collecting bottled water to take up there and asked if they could take quilts. Luckily I had some quilts ready to go. I will be dropping off the first round of quilts this morning and of course we will continue to work on quilts for as long as needed. Last year we worked until the end of the year and I figure it will go about that long.

Once people leave the shelters it is hard to find them and get them quilts. We reach out through the local churches and get quilts to them, but many of the people affected often move out of the area once they have lost their homes. That's one reason Vacaville Binky Patrol works year round to make quilts and I always keep some on hand to be ready in case an emergency strikes.

If you would like to help, we have lots of fabric, batting and supplies, but you could send us finished quilts or quilt tops that we will finish and get into the hands of those affected by the fires in Northern California or the next emergency.

We are always working to comfort those in need of a handmade hug.
You can send to me
Marilyn Lewis
425 Kirby Ct
Vacaville, Ca
95687

1 comment:

barbara woods said...

praying for Calif. a lots of rain, but not enough to cause slides