Sunday, July 29, 2018

wildlife

One of the best things about where I live is the wildlife that is all around me. Yesterday morning I was woken up by the sound of my dogs barking. Something had been bothering them all night. I finally got up to see what they were upset by and went outside. I heard some yapping and howling and sure enough, there was a fox in the field next to us. I couldn't see it, but I could hear it. It was probably telling its friends that it had caught a rabbit or ground squirrel.

We have a family of ground squirrels that lives under our house. You can hear them under the downstairs shower. The dogs have a fit when I let them follow me into the bathroom and always want to check out the shower to see if they can get to the shower and try to get at the furry critters. You can hear them scuffling around under there. One day my husband will probably fall through into their burrow as he takes his morning shower. Won't that be a funny blog post!

Well, yesterday I went to make a cup of coffee in the afternoon. I've been having a migraine for about a week and sometimes the caffeine helps. Most of the time nothing helps. I like to mix cocoa in with the coffee.

I put the coffee pod in the Keurig and pushed the button. The coffee brewed and was finished. I opened the top, took out the pod and out crawled this little frog. It had been in the part where the hot water pours through and somehow didn't get cooked. You've probably heard the saying about putting a frog in cold water and slowly turning up the heat and then cooking the frog. Well, the water comes through that part really hot! Boiling hot and that little frog somehow made it through unscathed. It came out and looked at me like I was the crazy one.

After asking it what it was doing in my coffee maker, I took it outside. I sometimes get them crawling out of my sink in the morning, but this is a first for me!

I cleaned the coffee maker really well and made myself a new cup of coffee.

The coffee didn't help the migraine, but I did get a great story to tell. And, you can be sure I will check my coffee maker and any other coffee maker for hidden frogs in the future!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HI,

Have been hearing about the CA fires and am wondering if you are collecting quilts for people who have lost their homes like you did for the Tsunami victims years ago.

My guild in Alexandria sent you 20 tops then.

Thanks

Gigi
Richmond Quilt Guildgudrunc3@gmail.com