Thursday, August 16, 2018

no more excitement please

You can see the bruise starting to form above my glasses line. This was yesterday afternoon.
Yesterday was orientation for my son at high school. My baby is now a freshman. I took him a little early and I was going to stay the day and help out where needed. I planned to spy on him throughout the day. He jumped out of the car and took off across campus saying he was going to go to the gym to meet with friends. I went to my classroom to drop off my stuff and then headed to the gym to find him.
This was from this morning. It is a little darker and much more sore to the touch. The swelling has gone down.
 I checked out the gym and he wasn't in there. The older kids who are mentors for LINK crew were all in the gym, excited to start the day. They all cheered for me when I peeked my head in. One of the counselors asked if I could run to the office and pick up a microphone for them because they had forgotten it. No problem! Yep, that's when the problem started!

I headed to the office and saw the Vice Principal, who had asked me to stop in to talk to her. I'm the department chair this year, so we have been talking a lot, but still getting called into the principal's office is never fun!

I turned to say hi to her and then a student called my name. I turned a little more to see who it was calling me and wasn't looking where I was going. I tripped over some uneven pavement and was going a little too fast to catch myself and everything started going in slow motion! I could feel myself falling and couldn't do anything about it.

yesterday
 I didn't have time or coordination to get my hands out to catch myself and hit my right shoulder and head really hard on the concrete. I also hit my left knee. The principal said he heard my head hit the pavement and came running over to help me up. The Vice Principal said I didn't look good before I made the fall. I told her it was because my baby was in high school and I'm having a hard time with that.
today the bruising starts and boy it is sore!
The principal got me into his office and got me an ice pack. I got a goose egg on my head and a nice headache. My husband came and took me to the ER. They did a CT scan and didn't find anything, which confirms my suspicions that there is a lot of empty space up there. No brain bleed or fracture of the skull. Just a mild concussion. My vision was blurry for a while and I got dizzy on the way back from the CT scan.

They sent me home with some ibuprofen and told not to go to work for 3 days. Isn't it convenient that I don't start work until Monday?

I'm really sore today and have whiplash. This big old head is really heavy.

I think I'm ready to have normal now please.

1 comment:

Farm Quilter said...

Getting hurt is never any fun. Glad workman's comp will pay for all the medical and that the damage wasn't worse for you. Have fun starting school tomorrow!!