Saturday, August 14, 2010

another one I couldn't do :)



I love the feeling of finishing something I thought I couldn't do. This one is called Twistin Round the Rails. Either I am really bad at piecing, or the measurements in the book are off. Because you can see from the blocks that every single block came out wrong and had to be cut. The instructions say to cut the long strips 10 1/2 inches to go around the center block which is 6 1/2 inches. Well, if you do the math, it doesn't add up. So, for the two odd blocks, which for some reason I couldn't find the two other centers for and had to substitute plain 6 1/2 inch blocks, I cut the strips at 10 1/4 inches. They came out perfect. My brain is tired and I don't want to actually calculate it, I just know that it worked.
I hate when a pattern has a mistake in it and then I feel like an idiot when it doesn't work right.
But, I am so pleased with the results. Since this was using up scraps and I ran out of the center block scraps and the darker blue scraps, I just used what I had and made the two different blocks. I could have put them in the center and that would have looked cute too. But the corners are where they ended up.
Another one ready to quilt. I am working on cutting scraps today and getting ready to go back to school Monday. My daughter has a tennis tournament at 5 today that I will be taking her to. So, my sewing time is coming to an end. I am hoping to get a quilt quilted today, but if not tomorrow for sure. Once school starts, I will be tired, especially this first week.

No comments: